Fire In Gravenhurst Had Common Yet Unfamiliar Starting Point
Officials Say Ceiling Fans Start More Fires Than You'd Expect
Officials say a fire in Gravenhurst had a rather common but unexpected source.
Fire crews were called to an apartment complex on Harvie Street in Gravenhurst around 10:00 this morning, to fight a fire in the ceiling of a basement unit.
Gravenhurst Fire crews made short work of the flames, and were into overhaul mode in no time.
It turns out, the fire got its start in a ceiling fan. Gravenhurst Fire says this is more common than you’d think.
Crews have completed operations at this incident. The fire originated in a bathroom ceiling fan in a basement on the lower level – many people would be surprised to hear how common an occurrence this is…
The smoke alarm alerted occupant! @oflse@muskokafpo @omfpoa911
— GravenhurstFIRE (@GravenhurstFIRE) October 22, 2018
“Ceiling fans, whether bathroom or kitchen, are responsible for a surprising number of fires,” said Fire Chief Larry Brassard. “It’s one of those home features that often don’t receive the maintenance they should. Our advice is to have a look at those fans every time you replace batteries in your smoke alarms. If they’re clogged with dust or other debris, clean them. Furnace filters fall into the same category, though may need replacing more often depending on conditions in your home. It’s all common sense really.”
There were no injuries reported following this fire. Damage is estimated at $1,000.
Photos courtesy: Gravenhurst Fire