Garage fire last night on Steel Street, near Oliver, in Barrie.
Smoke wafted through two townhomes in the complex.
It appears smoking materials were to blame.
Barrie Firefighters offer the following tips for safe smoking:
- Never smoke in bed, when drinking or taking medication that can cause drowsiness.
- Always use large, deep ashtrays on a sturdy table.
- Before you throw out butts and ashes, make sure they are out, and dousing in water or sand is the best way to do that.
- Check under furniture cushions and in other places people smoke for cigarette butts that may have fallen out of sight.
- Never smoke in a home where oxygen is being used
- Keep matches and lighters up high, out of children’s sight and reach. • When possible, smoke outdoors.
- Be alert! To prevent a deadly cigarette fire, you must be. You won’t be alert if you’re sleepy, have been drinking, or have taken medicine or other drugs.
- Install a photoelectric smoke alarm above your favourite place to smoke. If you have a fire you will get the early warning you need to escape.
- The best way to prevent smoking fires is to quit. For help with that: Thinking About Quitting