There was concern a couple of weeks ago about people ingesting certain disinfectants in the hope of killing the COVID-19 virus.
Health officials were quick to quash that advice.
But some people are still becoming ill while using those products to sanitize their homes in hopes of keeping the virus at bay.
Call a #PoisonControl Centre or your healthcare provider right away if you suspect someone has been harmed by a household chemical product.— Health Canada and PHAC (@GovCanHealth) April 25, 2020
Find the centre serving your area: https://t.co/RAS76Ubp3l #HealthyHome pic.twitter.com/XCdvz0NgIb
Health Canada says there was a 58 percent increase in disinfectant-related accidental poisonings and other related ailments in February and March.
Burning eyes and trouble breathing have been the most common complaints.
Many of us have more cleaning products in our homes and are using them more often, sometimes unwisely.
For instance, some people are mixing bleach with vinegar which can produce a deadly gas.
And there have been a few cases of kids drinking hand sanitizer.