There was no COVID-19 update to the media from Dr. Kieran Moore on Tuesday afternoon.
One had been scheduled with the Chief Medical Officer of Health, but a provincial spokesperson said in a statement the cancellation was made at Moore’s request “in light of the government’s ongoing work on a proof-of-vaccination certificate.”
According to numerous reports, the work on developing a certificate has become bogged down after an initial plan was rejected by Premier Doug Ford and cabinet on Monday night. Ford and his ministers returned to the table Tuesday afternoon to continue to try to hammer out details of a COVID-19 passport system in Ontario.
There are suggestions the premier will unveil something in the coming days.
Last week, reports surfaced the government was going to do a reversal and move ahead with a proof-of-vaccination system.
There are several cabinet ministers said to be opposed to a vaccine passport.
British Columbia and Quebec will roll out digitized passports next month, while Manitoba will use a card-carrying system.
The premier was very clear in late July when he was asked if it was time for Ontario to introduce a vaccine passport.
“The answer is no,” he said. “We’re not gonna do it. We’re not gonna have a split society.”
Since then, there have been loud calls from municipalities to healthcare workers to educators and businesses to create some sort of vaccine passport that could be used to gain access to events and businesses.