Motorists are being urged to practice good manners while behind the wheel.
Ontario Provincial Police have launched their Operation Impact safety blitz.
OPP Sgt. Kerry Schmidt says during the four-day campaign, which started Friday, officers will be on the lookout for things they see time and time again.
“Aggressive driving, impaired driving, distracted driving, and people not wearing their seatbelts,” says Schmidt. “These are the leading causes of death and injury on our highways and they are completely preventable.”
So far this year there have been 208 deaths on OPP patrolled roads. Police say the majority of the road fatalities could have been avoided with speed linked to 51 deaths, distracted driving linked to 35, no seatbelt linked to 34, and impaired driving a factor in 23 deaths.
“Speeding is the number one killer on our highways, right now,” says Schmidt. “We have seen more people die because of speeding and aggressive driving than any other of those big four causes of death on our highways.”
Schmidt says provincial police have responded to nearly 40,000 crashes this year.