‘Unattended cooking’ cause of fire at modular home in Oro-Medonte

Damage is estimated to be between $90,000 and $125,000

Fire officials say a blaze that gutted a modular home in Oro-Medonte on Tuesday was caused by “unattended cooking,” and the structure didn’t have working smoke alarms.

Hugh Murray, Oro-Medonte fire chief, told Barrie 360 they received the call at around 10:30 a.m. and responded to the home in the area of Line 11 just south of 15/16 Sideroad.

Officials say the two occupants got out safely but were unsure about any pets.

The damage is estimated to be between $90,000 and $125,000.

Provincial police placed East Oro Public School in a shelter in place due to the fire, but lifted it just before noon.

Banner image via Michael Chorney / At the Scene Photography

27 Shares
Tweet
Share
Share
Pin