An Alberta man who was visiting Barrie died of COVID-19 this morning at Royal Victoria Regional Health Centre.
At a news conference today, the Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit said the man was in his 70s and had underlying health issues.
He was in close contact with a Barrie man in his 70s who was the region’s first death from the virus that the health unit reported on.
The Barrie man was being treated at RVH and had pre-existing medical conditions.
It wasn’t discovered until after his death that he tested positive for COVID-19.
Dr. Charles Gardner, Chief Medical Officer of Health, also identified another case, a woman in her late 30’s from Bradford West Gwillimbury who presented herself at Southlake Regional Health Centre in Newmarket on March 17.
She is in Southlake hospital in serious condition.
Gardner said the woman had no travel history.
The investigation continues but Gardner said this appears to be a community acquired case infection.
He also addressed the three new cases in Simcoe Muskoka that were posted to an Ontario government website.
Gardner said a Collingwood man in his 50s who recently travelled to the United States and a Bradford-West Gwillimbury male in his 20s who was a contact of someone who had been in Ecuador. Both are self-isolating at home.
The other case on the website identified a male in his 40s who had been to England.
Gardner said the man is from Barrie and in serious condition at Southlake.
There are now nine cases of COVID-19 in Simcoe Muskoka.
The health unit reminds everyone that social distancing includes staying at home if possible, staying at least two metres distance from others, limiting time out for necessary purchases, avoiding congregating in public settings and continuing to practice diligent hand washing.
For more information call Health Connection at 705-721-7520 or 1-877-721-7520, which has extended hours, or see www.smdhu.org.