Simcoe-Muskoka’s top doc says elderly man from out-of-province getting COVID-19 treatment at RVH as Bradford woman recovers at home

Man had stayed at Barrie's Hampton Inn from March 5th to the 11th

The Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit (SMDHU) confirms a man in his 70’s is at RVH receiving treatment for COVID-19 having recently stayed at the Hampton Inn in Barrie. He stayed there from March 5th to the 11th.

“We don’t have evidence of active transmission in the community, but that could come in short order.”

Dr. Charles Gardner, Chief Medical Officer of Health, Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit

“Our infectious and communicable diseases team is working diligently to identify and follow up with known contacts of these new cases who may have potentially been exposed to the virus,” said Dr. Charles Gardner, SMDHU Chief Medical Officer of Health, Sunday afternoon. “The focus of the team is to ensure that we reach out and determine who should be directed to self-isolate.”

“We don’t have evidence of active transmission in the community, but that could come in short order.” Dr. Gardner told Barrie 360 over the phone on Sunday.

The man was admitted to RVH on March 11th and is in serious but stable condition. He had travelled from Alberta late last month.

Dr. Gardner said they’ve been able to identify and contact those individuals the man had been visiting while in Barrie. Gardner added the man was in close contact with a second RVH patient who died March 11th. This situation is currently under investigation by SMDHU.

Related: “It’s really important to note that RVH is very ready for this outbreak,” RVH president says

In addition, a Bradford woman in her 40’s is recovering at home, after seeking treatment from Southlake Regional Health Centre in Newmarket on Friday. “Apart from family household contacts, (she) has not got community contacts, so she’s being monitored in isolation at home,” Dr. Gardner said. She drove herself to the hospital wearing a mask.

As Dr. Gardner and the rest of the Health Unit continue to monitor these cases, he recommends the public continues taking responsible measures, “They certainly should continue to be practicing our personal protective measures, social distancing in the community,”

Related: Simcoe County’s first COVID-19 case; a man in his 40’s, recently returned from Spain, sought treatment at RVH

On Sunday morning, Public Health Ontario announced 39 new cases of COVID-19, for a total of 142. This represents the largest single-day jump in provincial caseloads. Five people have recovered.

If symptoms develop, people are advised to self-isolate for 14 days and contact the health unit, Telehealth Ontario (1-866-797-0000) or their health care provider. Call ahead prior to visiting any health care provider and let them know about exposure history and symptoms so that they can make arrangements to see you quickly, provide testing, and ensure proper infection control measures are used.