Some six thousand passengers are being kept on-board a cruise ship in Italy after one passenger is reportedly showing signs of the coronavirus, which originated in Wuhan, China.
Video of cruise ship in Italy
A spokesperson for Costa Cruises told CNN that a 54-year-old woman was showing symptoms of the virus. The number of cases of the virus has shot up by 30% in just a day to more than 7,700 in China’s mainland.
There have been over 100 cases elsewhere in the world, including two cases here in Ontario. Coronavirus has spread to 20 countries and territories throughout North America, Europe, Asia and the middle East.
Here in Canada
Public health officials in Ontario provided an update on coronavirus in the province Thursday morning. Earlier this week a second case was confirmed in Toronto. There have been three confirmed cases in Canada so far – a couple in Toronto and a case in B.C.
Dr. David Williams, Ontario’s chief medical officer said the first person confirmed to have the virus is still in hospital, in stable condition. The second person confirmed to coronavirus is still at home. 27 in Ontario under review.
Public Health has investigated 67 cases of suspected coronavirus, 37 of which are pending results and 38 which came back negative. Public Health have been in touch with everyone who came in close contact with the two confirmed cases on a recent flight from China. Health officials say the droplets of the virus don’t spread beyond two metres of a carrier and the two people who contracted the virus were wearing face masks on that flight – which cut down on the spread.
Death toll from coronavirus
According to the Chinese Health Commission they are dealing with thousands of suspected cases. To date, the coronavirus has killed 170 people and infected more than 7,700 in China.