Wasaga Beach firefighters sound alarm on discarded cigarette butts

One minor injury

Firefighters at Wasaga Beach were called out early this morning to a house fire on 32nd Street between Mosley and McCague Streets.

Fire Chief Mike McWilliam tells Barrie 360 some cigarette butts ignited other combustible material inside a plastic, sand-filled bucket on the front deck. The fire spread from there, up the side of the home and into the eaves.

Fire officials say it’s the third fire in the town this month caused by improper disposal of smoking materials.

Out of the two occupants, one person suffered minor injuries to his hand while they tried to escape the fire. Damage is estimated at $75,000.