News

Published February 24, 2023

Man accused of crashing bus into Quebec daycare and killing 2 kids fit to stand trial

Six other children were injured

By Pierre Saint-Arnaud in Laval

A Quebec man accused of killing two young children when the city bus he was driving slammed into a Montreal-area daycare has been judged fit to stand trial, and his lawyer on Friday requested that his client also be evaluated for criminal responsibility.

Pierre Ny St-Amand appeared in a courtroom in Laval, Que., where his lawyer said a psychiatric evaluation requested last week found the accused mentally able to participate in the criminal case. Quebec court Judge Marc-André Dagenais ordered that report sealed.

The 51-year-old driver with the Laval transit corporation was arrested Feb. 8 after a bus he was driving crashed into the front of a daycare in the city's Ste-Rose neighbourhood, killing two four-year-olds and injuring six other children.

St-Amand is charged with two counts of first-degree murder as well as seven other charges, including attempted murder and aggravated assault.

His defence lawyer, Julien Lespérance Hudon, requested another evaluation, this time of his client's criminal responsibility — whether the accused was suffering from a mental disorder at the time of the alleged crime. Dagenais accepted that request.

"We have reasonable grounds … to want more information regarding what happened on that morning," Lespérance Hudon told reporters outside the courtroom, referring to the day of the crash.

St-Amand's attorney and prosecutor Karine Dalphond both told the court that some elements in the sealed psychiatric report justified the request for an assessment of the accused's criminal responsibility. The evaluation will take place at a Montreal psychiatric hospital.

Unlike his court appearance one week earlier when he seemed to be in a trancelike state, St-Amand was awake and alert on Friday but did not say anything during the brief court hearing.

Last week, St-Amand appeared to be struggling to walk and had his eyes closed as he entered the courtroom. His lawyer said at the time that he was having trouble communicating with his client.

"You saw him today, his attitude in the courtroom, much more present; therefore he was able to understand the role of the Crown prosecutor, the role of the defence, the role of the judge," Lespérance Hudon said Friday.

The case will return before a judge on March 28; St-Amand is scheduled to be in the courtroom on that date.

Banner image: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Graham Hughes

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Feb. 24, 2023.

What do you think of this article?
+1
0
+1
0
+1
0
+1
0
+1
0
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Have a breaking story?

Share it with us!
Share Your Story

What’s Barrie talking about?

From breaking news to the best slice of pizza in town! Get everything Barrie’s talking about delivered right to your inbox. Don’t worry, we won’t spam you. We promise :)
Subscription Form
Consent Info

By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: Central Ontario Broadcasting, 431 Huronia Rd, Barrie, Ontario, CA, https://www.cobroadcasting.com. You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact

Related Stories

Advertisement
Advertisement